With its sole intention of helping people to learn a new skill, Learnership in South Africa has become a force to reckon with in South Africa.
What Is Learnerships
Learnerships is a South African-based learning programme that is tailored for people who are in a specified or designated occupation or field. This programme when fully completed leads to a National Qualification Framework qualification which will be awarded to the learner.
Learnership is tailored in the sense that things taught are closely related to the chosen field of the applicant. For instance, there may be programmes in hairdressing, electrical engineering, and project management among others.
Learnership is managed and facilitated by Sector Education and Training Authorities. Learnership is typically between three parties. That is the employer, the learner, and the company or person who is providing the learning experience or expertise. This is a legal binding that protects all parties involved in the agreement.
What Is The Importance Of Learnerships?
There is a tall list of importance to the learnership programme. Here is a list of a few of them.
- The Learnership programme aids people with skills by preparing them for the actual job place activities
- Again, the Learnership programme helps individuals to acquire unique skills or better the already acquired skill that will open wider employment opportunities for them
- The Learnership programme provides easy access to training and education. This means that individuals who are enrolled can be working and equally training for an educational qualification
- Because Learnership Programmes are managed and facilitated by SETAs, they make sure learners are equipped with the needed skills concerning their field of expertise
Who Qualifies For A Learnership?
As much as the Learnership programme will love to serve all and sundry, unfortunately, that is not possible. There are qualifications one needs to meet before they are eligible to enroll in a Learnership Programme. Here is a list of the qualifications.
- All young people who have completed school or college or learning at institutions are eligible to apply
- Applicants are supposed to be older than 16 years old but must not be older than 35 years old
- South Africans who are unemployed can also apply if and only if their employers are ready to make provision for the working experience
Entry Requirements Of Learnerships
When it comes down to the entry requirements, differ from one programme to the next but the minimum requirements are;
- National Senior Certificate
- National Certificate
- Vocational with specific subject requirements such as computer literacy in some cases
Once the learner is accepted, they will be required to sign two legal documents which are;
- Learnership Agreement which is signed by the learner and the company employing the learner and the education provider
- Employment Contract which the learner will sign with the employer for as long as learnerships last
How Does Learnerships Work In South Africa?
The Learnership Programme will require the learner to undergo a theoretical course and also a practical course. This is to be done at the workplace and it should be done before the learner is awarded their qualification.
READ ALSO: Funza Lushaka Bursary Online Application
When it comes to the practical aspect as the name connotes, it requires deliberate hands-on training by the learners and is supervised by a mentor.
How To Participate In Learnership
To participate in the Learnership programmes, the individual can register at a labor centre that is closest to them or get in touch with the Sector Education and Training Authority to find out the companies that offerLearnership programmes.
Benefits Of Learners
Here is a list of benefits a learner will enjoy;
- After successful completion of a learnership programme, a learner’s employability increases
- A learner can be working as they are acquiring an educational qualification as well
- Since learners are going through theoretical and practical training, they are able to contribute relevantly to their field of expertise
- Learners get to enjoy and earn an allowance during the training
- Equally, a learner gets to be awarded a recognized qualification after completing
How Much Does Learnerships Cost?
The Learnerships Programme cannot be determined immediately as most of them are funded by SETA. Otherwise, the applicant will have to contact the designated SETA to find out the fees or costs involved before they start the programme.
Do Learnerships Get Paid?
It is not a salary but an allowance that caters for travel, meals and in some cases accommodation. The amount a learner receives will be dependent on the SETA and the qualification chosen so learners are advised to find out before they start the training.
How Long Does It Take To Complete A Learnerships?
All Learnership programmes will last as long as the time or years allocated for them. If a programme will take three years to be completed then that is the exact years that will be used.
READ ALSO: How To Apply For NSFAS Funding Online – A Complete Guide
Can A Learnership Be Terminated?
Yes, a Learnership programme can be terminated but under these circumstances.
- If the time or duration allocated for that programme has expired
- If the employer and the learner have reached an agreement to terminate the programme
- If the learner is dimissed for putting up an offensive attitude
Will I Get A Job After Completing The Learnerships?
No one immediately promises you that they will employ you after completing a Learnership programme but the chances of one getting employed increase as they have added skill, a more polished one to their skills.
How Much Does Learnerships Pay In South Africa?
On average, a learner earns at about R276, 000 annually or R142 per hour.
Is Matric A Requirement For Learnerships?
This cannot be noted for sure as the qualification differs from company to company. Whereas some qualifications require a matric, others may not so one will have to find out from the designated SETA before commencing the programme.
Must Learners Pay Back The Allowance?
Learners will not be required to pay back the allowance they earned during the Learnership Programme. However, an employer will be able to make a tax deduction from that allowance if and only if they have agreed with the learner.
Is It Possible To Apply For A Learnerships While Studying?
The simple answer here is NO. This is because just like studying, Learners will be required to attend classes and training programmes so they may not have time to run both simultaneously.
Why Do Companies Offer Learnerships?
When companies offer Learnership programmes to their employees, they tend to;
- Work in a rather independent way since they have all the required skills in the chosen field
- The workers are motivated and as such, they put in their best to have the job done
List Of Learnerships
- Aurecon Learnerships
- Anglo American Learnerships Programme
- Amathuba Learnerships
- Avusa Learnerships Programme
- ArcelorMittal Learnerships
- ABSA Learnerships
- BANKSETA Learnerships Programme
- Barloworld Learnerships
- Truworths Learnership Programme
- NWK Software Programming Learnership Opportunity
- Minopex Learnerships
- Sanlam Learnerships