What Is NQF Levels Meaning?
NQF Levels stands for the National Qualification Framework. This is a structured framework of national relevance in South Africa that sets out to meticulously arrange all levels of learning achievement a student obtains under the South African Qualification Authority, also known as SAQA.
NQF makes sure it gives credit to the student that achieved it to ascertain that the level at which that qualification was achieved is recognized in the country.
In all, there are 10 NQF levels. When a person obtains any level of the National Qualification Framework, they have to make sure to identify which of the levels they got. This will make it easier to determine their skills and knowledge.
READ ALSO: Universities In South Africa Online Application
The NQF is a framework, and it is not exactly the only means of guideline for all education and training in South Africa. Still, they equally act as a body that sets up principles, policies, and boundaries for the make-up of the qualification system.
It must be noted that these levels are limited to your high school and tertiary education.
Purpose of The National Qualification Framework In South Africa
Listed below are the purposes the NQF sets to achieve
- The NQF further enhances the quality of education in South Africa.
- It also creates an avenue where an integrated national framework for learning achievement is feasible.
- It makes sure that every one of school-going age is not discriminated against and has a fair chance to education as everyone else.
- To make education accessible and progressive.
List And Explain The Types Of NQF Levels
As mentioned before, there are all ten levels of NQF in total. These ten NQF levels have been further segmented into three bands. Listed below are the three parts.
- First Band- this is from levels 1-4 and equivalent to high school from Grade 9-12 or Vocational Training
- Second Band- this is from levels 5-7 and is also equal to college diplomas and technical qualifications
- Third Band- this is from levels 7-10 and consists of university degrees
READ ALSO: WCED Online Application – How To Apply, Requirements & Forms
The 10 NQF Levels And What They Mean
NQF Level 1
- Qualification- Grade 9
- How To Achieve It- If one completes Grade 9
NQF Level 2
- Qualification- Grade 10
- How To Achieve It- If one completes Grade 10
NQF Level 3
- Qualification- Grade 11
- How To Achieve It- If one completes Grade 11
NQF Level 4
- Qualification- Grade 12 Matric
- How To Achieve It- if one completes and passes their final matric exams
NQF Level 5
- Qualification- Higher Certificate
- How To Achieve It- if one enrolls in a higher certificate program
NQF Level 6
- Qualification- National Diploma and Advanced Certificate
- How To Achieve It- if one completes a National Diploma Qualification or an Advanced Certificate
NQF Level 7
- Qualification- Bachelor’s Degree And Advanced Diploma
- How To Achieve It- if one enrolls and completes a Bachelor’s Degree program
NQF Level 8
- Qualification- Honors Degree or Postgraduate Diploma
- How To Achieve It- if one enrolls in the Honor’s Degree Program
READ ALSO: All Bursaries In South Africa – An Application Guide
NQF Level 9
- Qualification- Master’s Degree
- How To Achieve It- if one completes a Master’s Degree Program
NQF Level 10
- Qualification- Doctorates Degree
- How To Achieve It- if one completes a Doctorates Degree qualification
Is An NQF Level Qualification Good?
The simple answer here is YES. The NQF levels are good because each group enriches the learner with a designated skill and experience that increases their employability status in more ways than one.
The NQF equally serves as a map to guide learners when it comes down to choosing an ultimate career path.
What Are Credits, And How Can They Be Earned?
Credits are the marks that are credited to someone after they have completed their school subjects or their college courses.
What Are Accredited Courses?
Accredited courses are the wide range of courses that are made available to learners. These courses will equip you with specialized skills to enable you to choose a career. The courses here are done online. This means that learners will not be in attendance of any physical classes.
READ ALSO: How To Calculate PAYE On salary – A Complete Guide
What Are Alternative Courses?
These are courses that one can go through in a case where they do not qualify for an accredited course. These courses are short courses that include some Matric Upgrade courses. The accredited and alternate courses will equip learners with skills and experience.