ZEP Permits – ZEP stands for the Zimbabwean Exemption Permit. ZEP was introduced in 2009 in sunny South Africa. This particular permit is tailored for Zimbabweans residing in South Africa. The ZEP permits allow the nationals of Zimbabwean to live and work in South Africa.
ZEP was previously called the Zimbabwe Special Dispensation Permit, also known as ZSP. In more ways than one, the ZEP regularizes Zimbabweans’ stay in South Africa. It allowed them the freedom to stabilize their stay and work rather than having to move to and fro South Africa every 60, 80, or 180 days which was financially draining as well.
Purpose Of The ZEP Permits
Although introduced in 2009, the Zimbabwean Exemption Permit was implemented by the Department of Home Affairs in 2017 with the sole goal of regularizing the stay of undocumented Zimbabweans in South Africa. This permit replaced the DZP and ZDP.
How Many Zimbabweans Have ZEP Permits
Since the inception of ZEP Zimbabwe in 2017, the initiative has registered 180,000 Zimbabwean nationals. In simple words, many Zimbabweans are holders of ZEP Permits in South Africa.
Who Is Eligible For ZEP Permits- Conditions For Application
In as much as many people will wish to be a ZEP permit holder, some conditions need to be met before one can go ahead to apply. Some of these conditions are listed below;
- Only Zimbabwean nationals with valid ZSP permit holders will be able to apply for the new ZEP permits
- Holders of ZEP will not be able to apply for a permanent resident
- The ZEP permits can neither be renewed nor extended
- A ZEP permit holder will not be able to change the conditions of the permit in South Africa
- Applicants of ZEP must bear in mind that ZEP lasts for four years only
Things To NOTE Before Applying For ZEP Permits
Before attempting to apply for ZEP permits, applicants must pay attention to the following;
- ZEP applications can be made online only. It is expected of applicants to fill and complete the form online as no handwritten form will be accepted
- ZEP means business when it comes to appointments. Applicants should make sure the appointment date they have selected does not coincide with any other thing, and they have all their documents ready because ZEP will not reschedule unless it is for a particular reason.
- All supporting documents need to be ready after filling and completing the forms online. These documents will be added to the forms on the day of the appointment and submitted duly.
- Applicants must pay a service fee of R1090 via debit, the credit card of Eft. Applicants can also pay this fee at the bank by using the unique system ZEP has generated and the ZEP Reference Number as a reference.
- Fees paid here are non-refundable the moment they hit the accounts of VFS Global and the Department of Home Affairs.
ZEP Permits Application Category
- Work- Applicants will need a letter of their employment from their employer with the company’s letterhead, which has been certified by the commissioner of oath.
- To Own A Business- Applicants will need a business registration document or a Municipal Registration Document.
- Study- Applicants will need the admission letter from the institution they are studying at with the institution’s letterhead.
ZEP Permit Supporting Documents
- A completed ZEP online form that the applicant has signed
- An original passport picture of the applicant that is valid for 90 days
- Photocopies of the valid passport
- A photocopy of a valid ZEP permits
- Proof of an application for a passport if the applicant has applied for a new one
- An original copy of the receipt from the bank the payment of the service fee was made to
ZEP Permits – How To Apply Online
To apply for ZEP Permits, kindly follow these steps;
- First and foremost, visit this link to fill out and complete the online application form https://www.vfsglobal.com/zep/southafrica/Online-application-form.html.
- Once done, prepare all of your supporting documents and submit them.
How To Track Your ZEP Permits Application
To see how far gone your ZEP permits application has gone, follow these;
- Visit this link https://www.vfsvisaonline.com/DHAOnlineTracking/OnlineTracking.aspx
- Once there, key in your reference number and click on submit to view your status
Processed Application Forms of ZEP Permits
Applicants can pick up their processed application form from the center where they dropped it. They can either pick it up themselves or have someone pick it up for them. In case they opt for the latter, the person doing the picking up must have the following before the processed forms are delivered to them.
- An original passport of the applicant at the time they applied for the ZEP permit
- An original receipt from the payment of the service fee
- An affidavit that SAPS has issued that is, if applicable
- A valid sign power of the attorney
- Collection timings: 10:00 – 15:00 (Monday – Friday except for public holidays)
Benefits To Get As A ZEP Holder
ZEP holders have a stabilized stay to work in South Africa rather than having to move to and fro South Africa every 60, 80, or 180 days which was financially draining as well.
ZEP Permits Fees
Every applicant is required to pay a service fee of R1090. This fee is not refundable. This fee is to be paid online through debit/credit card or EFT or pre-payment at the bank using the unique system-generated ZEP reference number as a reference.
Renewal Of ZEP Permits
If you ask if you can renew your ZEP Permit, then the single answer is no. ZEP permits are not renewable. Holders of ZEP permits will not be allowed to apply for permanent residence regardless of how long they have stayed in South Africa.
ZEP Permits Contact
For Clarification, Contact The Following;
- VFS Helpline: +27 (0) 12 425 3020
Working hours – 8:00 hrs to17:00 hrs from Monday to Friday.