Unisa Courses: This article seeks to touch on the vast range of courses at the University of South Africa which is known commonly as Unisa. It will dare to talk about the faculties the school has, the time frame of the course, and everything of relevance to the university.
The University of South Africa which is popularly known as Unisa has been in existence since 1873. The University as of 2008 had enrolled a total number of 381,483 students. Unisa is believed to be one of the largest universities in South Africa enrolling about a third of all higher education students in the country.
Unisa is internationally recognized and equally recognized by the South African Department of Education with accreditation from the South African Council of Higher Education and registered with the South African Qualifications Authority.
Notable amongst the alums of Unisa are Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu, Robert Mugabe plus more.
Unisa Faculties (Unisa Colleges) Briefly Explain Each College
The University of South Africa has a wide array of courses that befit any other person that enrolls in the university. And these are made possible because of the faculties that operate in the school.
Together, Unisa has eight faculties, what is popularly known as colleges. These colleges provide quality and tailored content and vocational programs for over 1400 academics.
Listed below are the faculties.
- Faculty of Accounting Science– this faculty is further structured into two colleges that is the School of Accountancy and the School of Applied Accountancy. This faculty offers nothing but quality qualifications that are recognized both nationally and internationally. It is accredited by the Council of Higher Education and endorsed by other recognized professional bodies.
- Faculty of Education– this is no less of a faculty than the other seven faculties. It has been categorized into two folds that is the School of Education Studies and the School of Teacher Education. Each one of these colleges offers distance learning to applicants.
- Faculty of Human Sciences– this faculty equally offers distance learning opportunities for applicants. These are career-focused and stream from arts, humanities, social science, religion, and theology. Their undergraduate diplomas and degrees with masters and honors are recognized internationally. The categorization here is the School of Arts, School of Social Sciences, and School of Humanities.
- Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences– this faculty is responsible for the provision of high-quality staff to the private and public sectors. This was achieved through nine departments but in three schools. These schools are the School of Economics and Financial Sciences, School of Management Sciences, and School of Public and Operation Management.
- Faculty of Graduate Studies- this is part of the research studies in the Unisa. Under this, there is only the postgraduate category with loads of qualifications.
- Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Science- this faculty comprises two schools the School of Agriculture and Life Sciences and the School of Ecological and Human Sustainability.
- Faculty of Science, Engineering, and Technology- they concentrate on providing highly affordable but quality science and engineering content. The schools here are the School of Science, School of Engineering and School of Computing.
- Faculty of Law- this faculty comprises the School of Law and the School of Criminal Justice.
Unisa Courses – What Courses Are Offered
Unisa has a wide range of courses to choose from. With Unisa courses, applicants get to choose from a range of courses that will suit the tastes and preferences of the applicants. Listed below are some of the qualifications and respective unisa courses.
- Diploma in Chemical Engineering (90130)
- Diploma in Civil Engineering (90137)
- Diploma in Industrial Engineering (90136)
- Diploma in Ornamental Horticulture (98025 – HOR)
- Diploma in Safety Management (90107)
2. Advance Diploma
- Advanced Diploma in Accounting Sciences Financial Accounting (98230 – FAC)
- Advanced Diploma in Accounting Sciences Internal Auditing (98230 – AUI)
- Advanced Diploma in Accounting Sciences Management Accounting (Revised Curriculum 2020) (98230 – MA1)
- Advanced Diploma in Accounting Sciences Taxation (98230 – TAX)
- Advanced Diploma in Agricultural Management (98027)
- Advanced Diploma in Animal Health (90112)
- Advanced Diploma in Mining Engineering (90131)
- Advanced Diploma in Ornamental and Landscape Horticulture (90094)
- Advanced Diploma in Security Management (98235)
READ ALSO: Unisa Application – A Guide To Apply Online
3. Bachelor Degrees
- Bachelor of Accounting Sciences in Financial Accounting (Revised Curriculum 2020) (98302 – FA1)
- Bachelor of Accounting Sciences in Management Accounting (Revised Curriculum 2020) (98304 – MA1)
- Bachelor of Accounting Sciences in Taxation (98318 – TAX)
- Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing (99313)
- Bachelor of Arts in Development Studies (99312)
- Bachelor of Arts in International Relations (99302)
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Leadership and Citizenship (99304)
- Bachelor of Arts in Politics, Philosophy, and Economics (90079)
- Bachelor of Arts in Visual Multimedia Arts (90091)
- Bachelor of Commerce in Entrepreneurship (90106 – ENT)
- Bachelor of Commerce in Financial Management (98306 – FMN)
- Bachelor of Commerce in Law (90123 – LAW)
- Bachelor of Commerce in Quantitative Management (98311 – QMA)
4. Unisa Postgraduate Programmes
Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration (98215)
5. Honors Degrees
- Bachelor of Engineering Technology Honours in Electronic Engineering (90156)
- Bachelor of Engineering Technology Honours in Mechanical Engineering (90151)
- Bachelor of Engineering Technology Honours in Power Engineering (90153)
For further information about the courses, kindly visit this page https://www.unisa.ac.za/sites/corporate/default/Apply-for-admission/Undergraduate-qualifications/Qualifications/All-qualifications
Is Unisa Open For Short Courses
Yes, there are short courses in Unisa but for now, there are no available courses. Applications are typically opened from September and run till February.
Duration For Unisa Short Courses
When it comes to the short courses, typically last between three to six months that is with one to three modules. However, programs and advanced programs may take up to a year with four to eight modules.
How Much Does Courses Cost?
Each course has its respective cost. For instance, a short course in SMME management is R1, 860. To find out the cost of the courses, kindly visit this link https://www.unisa.ac.za/sites/corporate/default/Colleges/Economic-and-Management-Sciences/Schools,-departments,-bureau,-centres-&-institutes/Centres/Centre-for-Business-Management/Programmes-offered
Types Of Unisa Short Courses
There are ten types of short course programs. Here is the list;
- College of Economics and Management Science
- College of Accounting Sciences
- College of Agriculture and Environmental Science
- College of Education
- College of Human Sciences
- College of Law
- College of Science, Engineering, and Technology
- Graduate School of Business Leadership
- Other Administration and Professional
- All colleges
Here is a list of some of the Short courses in Unisa
- Short Course for Planning and Conducting Assessment of Learning Outcomes (71005)
- Short Course in Advanced Information Security (76808)
- Short Course in Applied Information Security (76809)
- Short Course in Applied Project Management in an Information Technology Environment (70467)
- Short Course in Applied Risk Management (76929)
- Short Course in Basic Business Finance (71307)
- Short Course in Basic Communication Skills in Swati (72842)
- Short Course in Basic Communication Skills in Tsonga (7280X)
- Short Course in Basic Communication Skills in Zulu (72761)
- Short Course in Basic Communication Skills in Afrikaans (72869)